In the old centre of Paris, the Bazar de l'Hotel de Ville department store first opened its doors in 1864. Since 1913 the store has been located in an exuberant Fin-de-Siecle building, complete with an adjacent warehouses for merchandise storage. But more efficient methods of delivery meant that the large warehouse directly next to the store would fall into disuse, and it was decided that its space should be used for an expansion of the store itself.
The bureau was commissioned to do a major rebuild, and convert both the interior and exterior of the existing warehouse into floor space for the department store. One primary point of the design was the stripping of the existing exterior façade, so that the enormous steel support girders would dominate the exterior appearance of the building, and would remain visible in the interior as well.
area: 20,000 square meters
client: Bazar de l'Hotel de Ville