A renovation of the centuries old ‘Waaggebouw' (‘Weighing House') in the Nieuwmarkt neighbourhood of Amsterdam. The original city gateway of 1448 was rebuilt, at the end of the 16th century, as a weighing house, and the large area between the outer and main gate was paved with brick, forming a wide plaza.
In 1691 a central tower was added and topped with a spacious cupola, and the building took on the distinctive shape it retains today.
In 1994 the bureau was commissioned with converting the existing building into a café-restaurant. Here wood and leather combine with rough materials like steel and freestone. The brick paving of the outer plaza continues inside the café.
The cutted sandstones of the original construction were once again made visible, and the interior lighting is provided by nothing more than candles placed in numerous wall and ceiling fixtures. Through the use of these natural materials and soft lighting, the enormous space of the original building could be retained, and yet gives a sense of intimacy.
client: In De Waag B.V.